Re: Recent upgrade broke my canon printer

Thanks Jonathan, Didier for the responses.
On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 1:22 AM, Didier Raboud <odyx@debian.org> wrote:

> Note that nowadays, cups blacklists the "usblp" kernel module, which forces
> you to use the "usb" cups backend instead.

Yes I gathered (something like) this is the issue, though I dont
understand the details.
Is it possible to reverse the blacklisting and see what happens?

> Jonathan Nieder wrote:
>
> > Rustom Mody wrote:
> >
> >> I just have one little question -- hope someone on printing team can
> >> answer: Who makes the /dev/usb/lp0 device?
> >
> > udev.  What versions of udev and the kernel do you use?  Does
> > /etc/udev/rules.d contain any custom entries?

Not sure how this is best checked.
Synaptic shows udev and libudev0 as
installed: 171-3
latest: 172-1
That is it is upgradable. I can try doing that but dont know if this
will only muddy the waters further :-)

As for kernel:
uname gives me 2.6.32-5-686
synaptic for linux-image-2.6.32.5-686 shows installed version at
2.6.32-31 same as latest