Re: Joining the team?

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 08:31:22PM +0200, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> * Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter@gmail.com> [110620 18:49]:
> > >I have some interest in printing stuff, and I currently keep the package
> > >magicfilter, as I am not exactly a fan of cups (partly, perhaps, because of
> > >lack of the understanding together with some troubles in the past) and I
> > >like the lprng system of doing things.
> > >

> > Why Magicfilter? It is not maintained upstream any more for decades
> > (1996 it was already 1.2 and it still is).
>
> Not having new versions does not necessarily mean not maintained.
> (For things like printing I fail to see how anything that was not
> complete some years ago could be mature now).

Well, in my experience it's lacking in both driver support and
features.  It's still (last time I looked) still using drivers
built into gs, e.g. the stcolor driver rather than gutenprint
for Epson inkjects, so it only supports ancient models, and
even then only very poorly (in terms of quality and configurable
options.  It also has issues with plain text printing (still no
UTF-8 support) and generating correct configurations (#50196--can't
believe it's 11½ years ago!)

I'm just trying to say that magicfilter is not, IMO, "complete"--
it could have progressed much further had it been maintained for
the last 15 years by an upstream who kept it up-to-date with
contemporary printing technology.

In these terms, Foomatic is rather better, though (again IME)
awfully complex.

I'm certainly not against magicfilter being in Debian providing
that it has users and it works for them.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh