Re: Joining the team?

On 06/18/2011 06:52 AM, Rogério Brito wrote:
Hi there.

I didn't even know that this team existed (I only noted this today after I
saw the maintainer of the epson-escpr package).

We are not only trying to take more care of Debian's printing stack but also to join forces for Debian and Ubuntu packaging of printing stuff.

I have some interest in printing stuff, and I currently keep the package
magicfilter, as I am not exactly a fan of cups (partly, perhaps, because of
lack of the understanding together with some troubles in the past) and I
like the lprng system of doing things.

Why Magicfilter? It is not maintained upstream any more for decades (1996 it was already 1.2 and it still is). You can replace it by Foomatic (I did not remove LPRng support) which is maintained upstream by me and used by many driver authors, even printer manufacturers. Especially it is based on PPD files and so it supports every PostScript printer perfectly.

Seeing as we have a team, I think that this would give me some incentives to
better manage my packages and to learn about other printing solutions.

So, how is the status of the team?

You are welcome to join the team and discuss the work on printing-related packages and ask for help here.