Re: Recent foomatic- uploads to natty

Le Monday 21 February 2011 16:16:05 Till Kamppeter, vous avez écrit :
> Ubuntu actually syncs only packages which are in a special sync mode.
> These packages are usually the ones which have no maintainer at Ubuntu
> (not the case for printing-related packages) but are well maintained at
> Debian.

Okay, didn't know this. Thanks for the explanation.

> > What about the following workflow: when a new package is about to be
> > uploaded to Ubuntu's unstable (currently natty), you prepare the package
> > towards unstable, with a -1 (or whatever later) Debian revision. Then
> > you ping someone here on the mailing list or over IRC to do the actual
> > upload (sponsoring the upload for you) towards Debian unstable. Then you
> > can sync this package in Ubuntu. This way, we prepare and build the
> > packages only once, instead of twice.
> >
> > I am almost certain that we can get you a DM status, that would allow you
> > to upload those packages to Debian yourself.
> >
> > What do you think ?
>
> This would be great. If I would get Debian Maintainer status, I could
> maintain the whole printing stack in Debian and put Ubuntu on auto-sync.
> Then the two distros will have one unique printing stack and all
> packaging which I do anyway for Ubuntu gets also into Debian.
>
>     Till

Nice ! Then I propose you the following "plan": for all future uploads you'd
like to do on Ubuntu/Debian, we get in touch and coordinate a "sponsored upload"
for you on the Debian side (which implies adding you as "Uploader" in
debian/control, letting you prepare the debian/changelog entry and get the final
source package built and uploaded by a DD (preferably member of the printing
team and also in the Uploaders field).

This would create you a "track record" of uploads to Debian (because although
the real upload is performed by a DD, as it's your name in the debian/changelog
entry, it's recorded as "yours".

Then (but rather rapidly I guess), you could apply for the DM status [DM], with
us advocating you. Once you get this status (aka your gpg key in the debian-
maintainers keyring), we'll start adding the "DM-Upload-Allowed: yes" to
packages for which you are uploader and… done. :-)

How does that sound ?

Ah, by the way, on a not-really-identical-but-still-related note; could you
please separate your git commits between "upstream" and "master" on the
foomatic- git repositories ? (aka git-import-orig $tarball ) This produces a
clearer and cleaner commits history.

Cheers,

OdyX

[DM] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMaintainer