Re: Recent foomatic- uploads to natty

On 02/18/2011 06:29 PM, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
Hi Till,

I just noticed your recent foomatic-{db,filters,db-engine} uploads to natty.

As we managed to get the diff of those packages to zero, would it be possible to
get in touch with me (or the printing team) when you plan such uploads for
Ubuntu ?

In this case, I "had" to do "dummy" uploads to Debian with a -1 Debian revision
just to get a new upstream releases to Debian, while you did almost identical
uploads to Ubuntu some hours before. We are duplicating the work ! The -1 upload
will happen on the Debian side anyway as we currently want the newest software
in unstable (the freeze has now ended, we are at the beginning of a development
period) and Ubuntu will end up automatically syncing this -1 package later on
(if I understand Ubuntu policies correctly).

Ubuntu actually syncs only packages which are in a special sync mode. These packages are usually the ones which have no maintainer at Ubuntu (not the case for printing-related packages) but are well maintained at Debian.

What about the following workflow: when a new package is about to be uploaded to
Ubuntu's unstable (currently natty), you prepare the package towards unstable,
with a -1 (or whatever later) Debian revision. Then you ping someone here on the
mailing list or over IRC to do the actual upload (sponsoring the upload for you)
towards Debian unstable. Then you can sync this package in Ubuntu. This way, we
prepare and build the packages only once, instead of twice.

I am almost certain that we can get you a DM status, that would allow you to
upload those packages to Debian yourself.

What do you think ?

This would be great. If I would get Debian Maintainer status, I could maintain the whole printing stack in Debian and put Ubuntu on auto-sync. Then the two distros will have one unique printing stack and all packaging which I do anyway for Ubuntu gets also into Debian.