Debian packaging of gutenprint

Dear all,

This is just to keep you up to date on what's happening with Gutenprint
in Debian, particularly with regard to 5.2.x and group maintenance
ongoing into the future.

Willem van den Akker has kindly volunteered to help maintain Gutenprint
in Debian.  As I have mentioned in the past, my PhD commitments are
causing me to have little time to actively contribute right at the
moment, so I can't keep up with the maintenance burden in Debian or
upstream right at this moment on my own.

Gutenprint was already group-maintained in Debian by the Debian Printing
Group, and I've now created a shared source repository for ongoing
package maintenance:

  http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/gutenprint.git

  git://git.debian.org/git/collab-maint/gutenprint.git

This isn't the same as the "upstream" CVS or git mirror repositories.
It contains all upstream release *tarballs* unpacked and tagged on the
"upstream" branch, and tarball information on the "pristine-tar" branch
(used to reconstruct the original release tarballs bit-for-bit identical
to the originals from the upstream branch).  The Debian-specific
packaging lives on the "master" branch.  This is standard
git-buildpackage layout, imported with git-import-dscs.

Preliminary 5.2.1 packages have been uploaded to experimental (5.2.1-1),
with 5.2.1-2 to follow with further changes such as the automated
backend updating script I posted earlier.  Following further testing,
and the release of Debian Lenny, an upload will then be made to unstable
and lenny-backports for stable users.

Till, I understand from the Ubuntu changelogs that you are maintaining
the gutenprint packages in Ubuntu.  It might prove useful to also use
this repository, given that Ubuntu tracks the Debian packages.  It
should be possible to cherry-pick specific changes, as well as merge
easily.

It should also make it easier to push changes back up to Debian, which
would be greatly appreciated in order to prevent unnecessary
divergence...  Uncoordinated divergence could result in creating future
problems for yourself, though at the moment the differences are minor.

5.2 changes to date:

gutenprint (5.2.1-2) experimental; urgency=low

  [ Roger Leigh ]
  * debian/cups-driver-gutenprint.postinst: Automatically upgrade print
    queues using the obsolete canon and epson backends.  Attempt to
    determine the most appropriate alternative backend from the device
    name.
  * debian/compat: Update to debhelper v7 compatibility.
  * debian/rules: realclean: Remove redundant removal of -stamp files.
  * debian/control: Add W. van den Akker to Uploaders.
  * debian/cups-driver-gutenprint.NEWS: New file.  Document automatic
    upgrade of print queue backends.

 -- Roger Leigh <rleigh@debian.org>  Thu, 30 Oct 2008 22:08:37 +0000

gutenprint (5.2.1-1) experimental; urgency=low

  [ W. van den Akker ]
  * Upgraded to Standards version 3.8.0.
  * debian/*: Update version from 5.1 to 5.2.

  [ Roger Leigh ]
  * New upstream stable release.
  * debian/control.in: Add Vcs-Browser and Vcs-Git fields.
  * debian/control.in: Remove, leaving debian/control.
  * debian/control: Remove unnecessary version information in package
    descriptions.
  * debian/control: Rename cupsys-driver-gutenprint to
    cups-driver-gutenprint (already done in 5.0 branch).
  * debian/control: Remove dependencies prior to Lenny, including
    unneeded versioning and old transitional dependencies.
  * debian/rules: Remove library soname substitution in package names.
  * debian/README.building: Remove old outdated instructions.
  * debian/patches/20_fix_gimpprint_menu_entry.dpatch: Make executable.

 -- Roger Leigh <rleigh@debian.org>  Thu, 30 Oct 2008 00:27:41 +0000

gutenprint (5.1.98.2-2) experimental; urgency=low

  * debian/cupsys-driver-gutenprint.postinst: Remove version suffix from
    cups-genppdupdate.
  * debian/rules, debian/cupsys-driver-gutenprint.install: Remove
    cups-genppd; this is no longer needed with CUPS 1.2.x
    (Closes: #474994).
  * debian/control: Remove debian revision in Build-Depends package
    versions.

 -- Roger Leigh <rleigh@debian.org>  Sat, 10 May 2008 12:32:39 +0100

gutenprint (5.1.98.2-1) unstable; urgency=low

  * New upstream stable beta release (Closes: #439961, #480113).
  * debian/rules:
    - Remove debian/libgutenprint2.install from GENERATED_FILES, and
      remove the rule to generate it.
    - Rename versioned binaries to 5.1.
    - Remove commands for programs and manpages removed in this release.
  * debian/control.in:
    - Bump version from 5.0 to 5.1.
    - cupsys-driver-gutenprint dependency on older ghostscript versions has
      been restored, to allow migration to testing.
  * debian/cupsys-driver-gutenprint.install:
    - Rename versioned binaries to 5.1.
    - Remove cups-genppdconfig.
  * debian/cupsys-driver-gutenprint.postinst,
    debian/cupsys-driver-gutenprint.postrm,
    debian/cupsys-driver-gutenprint.preinst: Rename versioned binaries to
    5.1.
  * debian/gutenprint-doc.doc-base: Update version, section is now
  * Graphics.
  * debian/ijsgutenprint.install: Rename versioned binaries to 5.1.
  * debian/libgutenprint2.install.in: Rename to
    debian/libgutenprint2.install and hard-code version.
  * debian/libgutenprint-doc.doc-base.developer,
    debian/libgutenprint-doc.doc-base.reference: Section is now
    Programming/C.
  * debian/README.Debian: Bump version from 5.0 to 5.2.

 -- Roger Leigh <rleigh@debian.org>  Fri, 09 May 2008 17:04:37 +0100

Regards,
Roger

--