Re: Printing to a Network HP printer

jpickett@valornet.com writes:

> I am having difficulty finding the correct printer settings in the CUPS
> printer setup menu.
>
> I have an HP deskjet 6127 on my subnet with a fixed IP of 192.168.1.78
> I print to it on Windows XP using HP Standard TCP/IP port, port name:
> IP_192.168.1.78, protocol: Raw, port:9100
>
> The following settings seem to be the only way I have been able to get
> anything to the printer.
>
> CUPS access via http://debian:631/
> 	MANAGE PRINTERS
> 	Modify Printer:
> 	Name: 6127Black
> 	Location: Home
> 	Device: AppSocket/HP JetDirect
> 	Device URI: socket://192.168.1.78:9100
> 	Make: Raw
> 	Model: Raw
>
> The printer prints a page that looks like this followed by many blank pages:
>
> %!PS-Adobe-3.0
>               %%BoundingBox: 0  0  612  792
>                                            %%Pages:  1
>                                                       %%LanguageLevel:  1
>                                                                          %%DocumentDa

The Make and Model are Raw, so CUPS is simply passing through the
PostScript document without converting it to a form printable by the
HP DeskJet.

You need to have HP as the Make and DeskJet 6127 as the Model.
Installing hpijs/hplip and using the "hp" backend
(hp://192.168.1.78:9100) should give you the necessary driver.

After installing the packages, choose "Modify Printer" to update the
existing configuration.

Regards,
Roger

--