Re: HP Deskjet 3930 won't print

Roger Leigh wrote:

Daryl <sofasurfer@blclinks.net> writes:

I have a HP Deskjet 3930. I installed the HPLIP 1.6.6a driver. I have
cups installed. I have done everything that I have been told. Most of
my setup process is documented at...
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=7462

That's quite long, and it's not particularly clear.  Please could you
summarise exactly what you did, what happened, and what you are trying
to do.

Roger.
Thanks for your reply. I will explain what I have and what I've done.

I'm using Debian Sarge.
Printer: HP Deskjet 3930

daryl@debian:~$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.8-2-386 (horms@tabatha.lab.ultramonkey.org) (gcc version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-13)) #1 Tue Aug 16 12:46:35 UTC 2005

Installed printer driver hplip 1.6.6a.

Because of errors during the ./configure part of installation of driver, I installed the following missing packages:
gawk
g77
libusb-dev
libcupsys2-dev
libcupsimage2-dev
libsnmp5-dev

Now when I ran ./configure again and end result is...
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile

Now I ran the 'make' command and this was the result:

running build
running build_ext
error: invalid Python installation: unable to open /usr/lib/python2.3/config/Makefile (No such file or directory)
make[1]: *** [build-pcardext] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/daryl/downloads/hplip-1.6.6a'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Next I installed python2.3-dev and finshed the installation with no more errors.

Now when I go to http://localhost:631 to configure my printer this is my proceedure:

1. I entered http://localhost/631.
2. I clicked on 'Manage Printers'.
3. I clicked 'Add printer'.
4. I entered 'root' and my password.
5. I entered the name of the printer. 1st try I entered 'HP. 2nd try I entered '3930'. 6. Where it asks for 'Device for 3930' it had AppSocket/HP JetDirect selected. When I opened the dropdown menu I saw that of the many choice 'USB Printer #1' had a '3930' next to it. So I decided that must be the proper choice. I chose it.
7. For 'Model/Driver' for 3930 I chose 'HP'.
8. For 'Model' of HP printer I chose 'HP Deskjet Series CUPS v1.1 (en)'. Another choice was 'HP New Deskjet Series CUPS v1.1 (en)'.
9. The next page said '3930 has been added successfully'.
10. I tried to print a page. I clicked 'print' on the printer dialog window. I got another window that said 'Printing document.....Generating print data'.
11. Thats all. Nothing else happened.
12. Printer IS turned on and plugged in.

At this point I also install Ghostscript Interpreter... gs-esp.

Next I went to the 'HP Linux Imaging and Printing (HPLIP)' home page and followed their steps. When I got to step 2, and enetered 'apt-get install gcc-c++ python-dev libsnmp5-dev libcupsys2-dev python-qt3 lsb libusb-dev' I got this error...
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package gcc-c

I apt-get install gcc-c and am told that gcc-c could not be found so I did...

debian:/home/daryl# dpkg -l | grep gcc
ii gcc 3.3.5-3 The GNU C compiler
ii gcc-3.3 3.3.5-13 The GNU C compiler
ii gcc-3.3-base 3.3.5-13 The GNU Compiler Collection (base package)
ii libgcc1 3.4.3-13 GCC support library

I do not have gcc-c but I need it and can not find it.

At this point I have recieved not more helpful suggestions.

I wonder if the fact that I had to install all those missing packages is a clue as to the problem? Other people seem to install the driver and start printing. Theres something differant going on in my system, but what.

If you need more info just tell me the commands to find it and I will.

I'm sorry I can't talk more intelligently about this. I obviously don't know how this print process works in Debian. I had Mandrake a while back and I installed the printer driver in about 2 minutes and was printing. But now I am totally lost.

If you can help me I will be greatful.

Daryl...