Bug#309794: marked as done (cupsys: init-script completes before cupsd is fully running)
Your message dated Mon, 05 Jun 2006 11:04:37 +0900
with message-id <20060605020248.CAD4122310F@mail.topstudio.co.jp>
and subject line CUPS 1.2.1 is uploaded into unstable, so it fixes fixed-in-experimental bugs and some others
has caused the attached Bug report to be marked as done.
This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
Bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.
(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what I am
talking about this indicates a serious mail system misconfiguration
somewhere. Please contact me immediately.)
Debian bug tracking system administrator
(administrator, Debian Bugs database)
--- Begin Message ---
- To: Debian Bug Tracking System <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: cupsys: init-script completes before cupsd is fully running
- From: Martin Kittel <email@example.com>
- Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 17:34:21 +0200
- Message-id: <E1DYn2T-000171-00@egon>
the init-script for cups /etc/init.d/cupsys simply starts cupsd in the
background and then finishes immediately, although cupsd is not yet
In my case, samba was started just a second after cupsd by the samba
init-script and because cupsd was not yet ready, samba could not get the
of available printers. I had to restart it manually to have it working.
Of course, I had the same problem during the next restart...
Maybe one could put an artificial delay into the cupsys script to make
sure that cupsd is ready once the script completes.
I tagged this bug important because I think any user of the cups/samba
(or another combination of cups with a program that is depending on cups
being available during startup) can potentially run into this problem
and it can be triggered (as it was in my case) by simply removing some
packages that stretch the delay between running the cupsys init-script
and the samba init-script.
Thanks a lot and best wishes,
-- System Information:
Debian Release: 3.1
APT prefers testing
APT policy: (990, 'testing'), (500, 'unstable')
Architecture: i386 (i686)
Kernel: Linux 188.8.131.52
Locale: LANG=C, LC_CTYPE=de_DE@euro (charmap=ISO-8859-15)
Versions of packages cupsys depends on:
ii adduser 3.63 Add and remove users and groups
ii debconf 184.108.40.206 Debian configuration management sy
ii libc6 2.3.2.ds1-21 GNU C Library: Shared libraries an
ii libcupsimage2 1.1.23-10 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) -
ii libcupsys2-gnutls10 1.1.23-10 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) -
ii libgnutls11 1.0.16-9 GNU TLS library - runtime library
ii libpam0g 0.76-22 Pluggable Authentication Modules l
ii libpaper1 1.1.14-3 Library for handling paper charact
ii libslp1 1.0.11a-2 OpenSLP libraries
ii patch 2.5.9-2 Apply a diff file to an original
ii perl-modules 5.8.4-8 Core Perl modules
ii xpdf-utils 3.00-13 Portable Document Format (PDF) sui
ii zlib1g 1:1.2.2-4 compression library - runtime
-- debconf information excluded
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Subject: CUPS 1.2.1 is uploaded into unstable, so it fixes fixed-in-experimental bugs and some others
- From: Kenshi Muto <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 11:04:37 +0900
- Message-id: <20060605020248.CAD4122310F@mail.topstudio.co.jp>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Now we uploaded CUPS 1.2.1 to unstable.
fixed-in-experimental bugs can be closed.
About #349341, I noticed I needed to modify the order of control file.
It's already fixed and will provide a correct dependency.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Processed by Mailcrypt 3.5.8 <http://mailcrypt.sourceforge.net/>
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
--- End Message ---