Re: failure to print

Hi Roger:
Thank you. I removed (synaptic) every package concerning printing, except when
dependencies discouraged to do so, whereby cupsd.conf disappeared
from /etc/cups.

Then I reinstalled (my debian 32 testing/unstable is up-to-date) from apt-get
or aptitude commands from terminal window:
cupsys cupsys-bsd cupsys-client foomatic-db foomatic-filters-ppds
foomatic-filters foomatic-db-hpijs.

Then I installed the printer HP_Deskjet_5740 from http://127.0.01:631, which
went smoothly, test page OK, openoffice and adobe reader print ok everything.
In contrast KDE still has problems that I was unable to account for: neither
kwrite not kpdf are able to print: MIME informs unable to convert. I
understand that a driver to convert Postscript for my printer is not found.

Then I installed gtklp: did not solve. Then I installed hplip: did not solve
these problems.

I know it is my fault.

I had liked to add the line

kprinter –stdin

but i did not find where.

Should these question better be posed to kde? Ii would like to drop the use of
adobe reader, which, in my hands does not allow to put graphics on clipboard;
at any event, printing from  a kde editor may be usef just because i use kde
(3.5).

Cheers
francesco pietra