Re: State of the PpdPrintingSpecification?

Matthias Klose <doko@ubuntu.com> writes:

> Roger Leigh schrieb:
>> Matthias Klose <doko@ubuntu.com> writes:
>>
>>> Many packages still have the /usr/share/cups/model directory hardcoded,
>>> in most cases it's derived from cups-config --datadir.  I'm proposing to
>>> add an option --modeldir to cups-config, that points to /usr/share/ppd
>>> on Debian based systems. A fallback safe call to get the model dir would be
>>>
>>>   d=$(cups-config --modeldir) || d=$(cups-config --datadir)/model; echo $d
>>>
>>> which would work for backports as well.
>>>
>>> Is anybody working on gutenprint to comply with the spec?
>>
>> I can switch to using /usr/share/ppd/gutenprint at any time.  I would
>> rather have the CUPS ppd symlink in place before making the change
>> (/usr/share/cups/model/ppd -> /usr/share/ppd).
>
> So cups shouldn't use /usr/share/ppd directly, but continue to use
> /usr/share/cups/model as location for the ppd's? I'm confused, because
> foomatic-filters-ppds doesn't ship that link anymore, but hpijs-ppds does.

CUPS should include a symlink from /usr/share/cups/model to
/usr/share/ppd, then it will pick up all the PPDs.  At this point I
can switch to the new location and it will all continue working, with
no missing or duplicated PPDs.  CUPS should continue to use
/usr/share/cups/model for backward compatibility (user-installed PPDs,
third-party PPDs etc.).

(This is as I understand it, at least.)

Regards,
Roger