Printing problems with Samsung ML-1250

Hi,

I am trying to install Samsung ML-1250 printer into my Debian Unstable
system. I could print text files, but newlines were not getting
recognised by the printer and everything was being printed on one
line. Later I install CUPS and associated software  like foomatic
drivers and other related software. I configured it using the web
based configurations system of cups. lpq command and lpstat prints the
status of printer fine.

Now when it comes to actual printing, nothing including the test page,
gets printed.  WHat is printed is a single line which reads:

"emqrstuX@PJL 'SET RENDERINGMODE} ..." and so on. I tried uninstalling
and installing CUPS afresh but no awail. I am using the ml1250
pxlmono.ppd file supplied with foomatic software. I also tried
downloading the PPD file from linuxprinting.org webpage for ML-1250,
but that too gives the same output.

I know for sure that the same printer work fine with other OSes. Am I
missing something here? I see web reports that this printer works fine
with GNU/Linux, so is there something else that I need to do? The data
LED blinks fine when I send something to printer and paper gets
transported fine.

Any help in getting it to work will be highly appreciated. Thanks

--
      Ramakrishnan