Re: Gutenprint 5.0.0-rc2 on mac os x

carelain <care4@dds.nl> writes:

> I'm verry sorry to say, That I do not know anthing about unix then
> that my mac uses it.

It's never to late to start learning :)

> And I have been stupid enough to buy an epson all- in on printer.
> I was smart enough to get the gutenprint pack .01rc which made the
> printer atleast respond but let the paper just go through whitout
> printing. So then I tried to find the 0.2rc upgrade but it downloads
> as a .gz and opens as a tekst file of which I do not know what to do
> whit it.
> I hope you wont be to bothered explaining me a few mised details....?

This list is for discussing printing on the Debian GNU/Linux operating
system.  Gutenprint questions not relating to Debian or Linux are best
directed to the upstream mailing list, gimp-print-devel at
lists.sourceforge.net (you'll need to subscribe; see
http://gutenprint.sourceforge.net/p_Mailing_Lists.php3).

You haven't really described exactly what you downloaded, nor from
where, so this is just a guess; please see
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html for future
reference.

If the file is a .tar.gz or tar.bz2
(e.g. http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gutenprint/gutenprint_4.3.99+cvs20051122.dfsg.1.orig.tar.gz),
you'll need to unpack it using gzip/bzip2 and tar.  On GNU/Linux, that
would be

  tar xfvz file
or
  tar xfvj file

You would then change into the new directory, and then run
  ./configure [options]
  make
  make install
to build the program from source and then install it.  See the NEWS,
README and INSTALL files in the top-level directory; it comes with
comprehensive instructions.  I don't know what the appropriate options
for OS X are.

If all this has you lost, I suggest you wait for it to be packaged for
the Mac.  5.0.0-rc2 is not yet released after all; the version
provided by Debian is an unofficial prerelease CVS snapshot, and I can
only provide support for Debian users.

If your printer is new, Epson should provide OS X drivers, TTBOMK.
However, this is not at all topical for this list, and we can't help
there--you'll need to contact Epson for help with those.

Regards,
Roger

- --
Roger Leigh