Debian 3.1 and HP LaserJet 4P

Hi,

I have debian 3.1, and not quite new to the linux community.  I have an HP LaserJet 4P printer hooked up to the computer through a serial port.  It has worked with Fedora Core 4 Linux, Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows XP all with the same cable.  Debian-based Linux, such as Debian and Ubuntu, are the only operating systems having trouble with my printer.

In Ubuntu, it printed only the top milimeter, and that was it.  I didn't like Ubuntu that much and decided I wasn't going to have it on my machine, so I didn't try to fix the problem right away.  Now I have Debian 3.1 installed in its place, and it prints the actual query.  For example, if I wanted to print something in Openoffice.org with the username of albert, it would print this:

%!PS-Adobe-3.0
		%%BoundingBox: (atend)
					%%Creator: Openoffice.org 1.1.3
										%%For: albert
It wouldn't have those dashed lines, just the stuff between them.  Proceeding that would be blank pages.  It just keeps spitting out blank pages until the tray runs out.  Then after you refill it, it just keeps spitting out blank pages.  It seems the only way to stop it is to open the tray (this prevents a paper jam later on), wait for a "paper refill" error in the little screen on the printer, turn the printer off, detatch the serial from the computer, turn the printer back on, re-attach the printer.  That's the only way it'll stop.

I have gone to debian forums for help.  I thought someone might have had my problem already, so I searched.  Didn't turn up too many things.  I just learned that I had to have hplip.  Then I saw someone suggested http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO to help with linux and various printer (input the printer and brings up a specific page).  Since none of those made any difference with my previous trials, I decided to search yahoo for a wider range.  After searching, and finding almost nothing other than what I already knew, I decided to create my own post at http://debian.forums.net.  The post is located at http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=1795

I followed both instructions, and none of them worked.  As you can see "Harold" suggested I post here for help.  So as you can see, I made did make an effort to fix the problem before coming here.  I'm sorry this was a long email, I hope someone can help me.

~Albert