Re: netinst ppc64 2022-03-24 fails to install GRUB boot loader

Hello!

On 3/28/22 00:14, Dennis Clarke wrote:

I just the normal process of booting the netinst DVD image and used
the default NOT-expert menu option. I see the usual message :

        Unable to install GRUB in /dev/sda3
     Executing 'grub-install /dev/sda3' failed.

     This is a fatal error.

I used netcat to fetch the syslog and partman files from /var/log
and attach them here.

Looks like the HFS boot partition was never formatted :

Did you actually verify that by checking whether there was an HFS filesystem
created and mounted to /target/boot/grub after the partitioning step?

Let me try again. I am just as baffled. This usually is a slam dunk
trivial process. Really we have been through all of this over and over
and over and we are way past the HFS tools issues from last year.

I checked the ppc64 image, it contains the necessary packages and I don't see
a reason why the installation shouldn't work unless the HFS partition was
intentionally removed. But in that case, the installer should warn you.

Well, now is a good time for me to fire up the machine and give it
another try. However I will use a shell to dd nuke the sda and sdb
disks such that the partition step sees fresh unformatted disks.

I don't see a reason at the moment why your particular problem should occur.

Me neither :\

--
Dennis Clarke
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC