Re: Recipe for installing Debian on powerpc (G4, 32-bit) Mac? [failed installation -- looking for advice]

Hello!

On 12/27/21 03:20, Rick Thomas wrote:
> If it's true that modern grub can dig into an LVM containing root containing
> /boot, why is there any reason to want a separate /boot partition at all?
> Is this a feature that only applies to grub for powerpc?  I really like the
> feature of having /boot be a directory in root, because it allows me to update
> kernels without first checking that there's enough space in the /boot partition
> for another kernel and initrd.  I'd like to see it be at least an option, and
> (IMHO) preferably the default on all installs.

This error message might come from the partman-hfs package which currently is quickly
hacked to together and naturally not all the checks that are being performed are
necessarily returning the correct error messages. See my other mail that I posted
into this thread earlier today which explains the technical background.

In particular, I have never tested LVM and I therefore don't really know whether the
partman-hfs checks for an LVM setup are correct and the error messages make sense. Feel
free to perform such tests with images that are otherwise known to work and collect
the data.

If you really want to help me, I suggest that you perform systematic tests with said
image and collect the results and summarize expected behavior and actual behavior
of the software. Also, please always save the log file so that we can quickly localize
the package in question that is responsible for the warning or error message.

The more accurate your tests results are, the easier it is for me to localize the bugs
and fix them. So, installation tests are indeed always welcome if they come with usable
test results.

FWIW, here is the source code for such tests by the partman-ext3 package [1]. Maybe that
helps understanding the underlying mechanism.

Thanks,
Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz