Re: PowerMac7,3 DualG5 with [AMD/ATI] RV360 [Radeon 9600/X1050 Series] GPU not loading firmware...

On Nov 6, 2021, at 9:53 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

Not sure why that didn't work for you, it always worked fine for me when I tested it.

I suspect I know what might have happened.

When I first installed debian 64b from the 2021-04-17 image onto the DualG5, it would not boot after installation… got just past grub and died with a black screen and no ssh login available.

I used rescue mode from the CD to mount the root filesystem on the drive, and noticed in the syslog there were many errors relating to libffi8 symbols (as we know), so I manually built and installed libffi8 on the DualG5 using rescue mode from the CD. After that, it would boot.

During that process I also (for the first time) installed the various firmware packages. So likely something that was supposed to run did not (locked /boot from the CD I suspect).

If I had much experience at all with troubleshooting debian boots I would have known what to do — I will for next time (at least for that issue :> ).

BTW I also noticed that an Apple monitor attached to the Apple Display Connector on that ATI 9600 card would not bring up an image when X came up — just went black screen. Changing to a DVI monitor attached to the other connector on the card did work.

I have not retested that Apple monitor as yet -- now that the AMD firmware is actually working it might work now.

Best,

Ken