Re: success on a PowerPC iMac 6,1

Hi Ken!

On 10/31/21 23:39, Ken Cunningham wrote:
> I thought I would mention a successful debian install on a PowerPC iMac 6,1:
>
> $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor	: 0
> cpu		: 7455, altivec supported
> clock		: 999.999997MHz
> revision	: 3.3 (pvr 8001 0303)
> bogomips	: 66.56
>
> timebase	: 33280357
> platform	: PowerMac
> model		: PowerMac6,1
> machine		: PowerMac6,1
> motherboard	: PowerMac6,1 MacRISC3 Power Macintosh
> detected as	: 287 (Flat panel iMac)
> pmac flags	: 00000010
> L2 cache	: 256K unified
> pmac-generation	: NewWorld
> Memory		: 768 MB

Thanks for the feedback. Always nice to hear when users report back a successful installation.

> I used the cd from
>
> https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/2021-04-17/ <https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/2021-04-17/>
>
> as the more recent CD I tried did not work, as per this message I found later:
>
>  <https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2021/09/msg00008.html <https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2021/09/msg00008.html>>

I think the latest image should work though. A complete fix for this issue will come in the next weeks. There is only
part missing which is a proper release of the partman-hfs package.

> following that the installation went smoothly through, looking much like the screen capture images here in this walkthough:
>
> <https://www.danielmartingonzalez.com/en/installing-debian-10-from-scratch/ <https://www.danielmartingonzalez.com/en/installing-debian-10-from-scratch/>>
>
> I chose the “entire disc” installation method to keep things simpler, and I chose the LXDE desktop, as on a previous attempt using the default choice of the Xfce desktop there was an error.
>
> It is quite neat to see this system able to run current versions of rust, ghc, llivm/clang-13, gcc-11.2, etc.

Yep, that's why we're doing this. Also, it's fun and you learn a lot doing it ;-).

> thanks to all for all your efforts.
>
> I have four more Apple PPC machines to work on next over the coming few weeks. The next efforts will be a couple of Dual-G5s I have nearby.

Great. Looking forward to more feedback. And don't forget to always enable the participation in the popularity contest during installation.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz