Re: Updated Debian Ports installation images 2021-09-23

On Tue, 05 Oct 2021 19:36:58 +0100,
John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hello Marc!
>
> On 10/5/21 19:46, Marc Zyngier wrote:
> > However, as the initrd doesn't contain the SATA driver, it is unable
> > to mount the image where all the udeb for the kernel modules are, and
> > at this point I was stuck.
>
> I just had a look at the debian-installer package lists and indeed, the
> sata-modules udeb is not included in the initrd for powerpc [1] and
> ppc64 [2].
>
> Strange that no one stumbled across this before. I wonder how people managed
> to install on the G5 desktops in the past. Apparently it must have worked
> someone or these machines use PATA emulation?

If people booted over CDROM (or USB), it wouldn't matter. The initrd
includes the pata_macio driver, and that would have been enough to get
things rolling on any machine but mine (or anything else that can only
boot from SATA).

> Either way, I'm going to fix it.

Awesome!

Thanks again,