Re: Updated Debian Ports installation images 2021-09-23

On Tue, 05 Oct 2021 18:22:06 +0100,
John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hi Marc!
>
> On 10/5/21 18:10, Marc Zyngier wrote:
> > The very good news is that it boots all the way to the installer.
> > The less good news is that it stops pretty quickly as none of the
> > required drivers are actually in the install media.
>
> Not sure what installation media you used, but the CD-ROM image should
> contain both the sata_svw and tg3 kernel modules.
>
> Grep for "tg3.ko" and "sata_svw.ko" in the build log [1].
>
> Can you check whether the drivers are missing below /lib/modules? If
> yes, I have to check the configuration for the debian-installer cdrom
> initrd image.

It looks like we reached the same point in parallel! I also realise I
should have given a few more details about my setup, because it isn't
at all obvious from my email.

The machine I use has no CDROM (it is what Apple used to call a
Cluster node), and cannot boot from USB. So the only way to install
Debian is to dump the NETINST image on the hard drive (take it to
another box, dd the image, move it back) and boot from that. It works
fine and I land in the installer

However, as the initrd doesn't contain the SATA driver, it is unable
to mount the image where all the udeb for the kernel modules are, and
at this point I was stuck.

I managed to work around it by having a second installer image on a
USB stick, and let the installer use that. It magically finds all the
required drivers and the install can proceed. So the kernel
configuration is actually already correct, and it is only the absence
of the SATA driver in the initrd that is problematic in my case.

I'm not sure if it is worth changing anything on my account here, as
my use-case is pretty... tortuous.

Anyway, the installer went almost to the end, at which point I face
another issue:

Oct  5 17:32:43 grub-installer: info: Installing grub on '/dev/sdb3'
Oct  5 17:32:43 grub-installer: info: grub-install does not support --no-floppy
Oct  5 17:32:43 grub-installer: info: Running chroot /target grub-install  --macppc-directory=/boot/grub --no-nvram --force
Oct  5 17:32:44 grub-installer: Installing for powerpc-ieee1275 platform.
Oct  5 17:32:46 grub-installer: grub-install: error: filesystem on /boot/grub is neither HFS nor HFS+.
Oct  5 17:32:46 grub-installer: error: Running 'grub-install  --macppc-directory=/b=/t/grub --no-nvram --force failed.

I need to see whether there is any way to convey this requirement to
the installer at partition-time, but it will probably be a week-end
thing now.

Thanks,

	M.