Re: Updated Debian Ports installation images 2021-09-23

Hi Marc!

On 10/5/21 19:46, Marc Zyngier wrote:
> It looks like we reached the same point in parallel! I also realise I
> should have given a few more details about my setup, because it isn't
> at all obvious from my email.
>
> The machine I use has no CDROM (it is what Apple used to call a
> Cluster node), and cannot boot from USB. So the only way to install
> Debian is to dump the NETINST image on the hard drive (take it to
> another box, dd the image, move it back) and boot from that. It works
> fine and I land in the installer
>
> However, as the initrd doesn't contain the SATA driver, it is unable
> to mount the image where all the udeb for the kernel modules are, and
> at this point I was stuck.

Did you use the NETINST or netboot image? Those are not the same. netboot
are for actual netboot and contain different drivers.

Either way, I will check the d-i configuration for cdrom and check whether
those modules are not included in the debian-installer build.

> Oct  5 17:32:43 grub-installer: info: Installing grub on '/dev/sdb3'
> Oct  5 17:32:43 grub-installer: info: grub-install does not support --no-floppy
> Oct  5 17:32:43 grub-installer: info: Running chroot /target grub-install  --macppc-directory=/boot/grub --no-nvram --force
> Oct  5 17:32:44 grub-installer: Installing for powerpc-ieee1275 platform.
> Oct  5 17:32:46 grub-installer: grub-install: error: filesystem on /boot/grub is neither HFS nor HFS+.
> Oct  5 17:32:46 grub-installer: error: Running 'grub-install  --macppc-directory=/b=/t/grub --no-nvram --force failed.
>
> I need to see whether there is any way to convey this requirement to
> the installer at partition-time, but it will probably be a week-end
> thing now.

Can you just tell me whether it offered to create an HFS /boot partition?

The whole GRUB installation process is a solved problem. It can just be that
the "partman-hfs" package is missing in this installer image. It's required
to set up and format the HFS /boot partition.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz