Re: Altivec in baseline for ppc64?

---

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 12:09 PM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> On 7/16/21 12:59 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> > Does it have to be one or the other? Can't you have both?
>
> Well, you could have runtime detection like certain multimedia codes and OpenSSL use but
> most packages don't do that.

this is the "sane" way to do it.  unfortunately, the EABIv2, which
*explicitly* states, "SIMD is mandatory" is resulting in an inexorable
creep of submissions from IBM developers (to libc6 and other
libraries)

with Quad and 8 1.5+ ghz on the roadmap over the next 3 years,
Libre-SOC's processor is *not* intended for just "embedded" uses.
we've simply made it abundantly clear that Hell Will Freeze Over
before we add a suicidal *700* SIMD instructions to what is supposed
to be a RISC design.

l.