Re: Altivec in baseline for ppc64?

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 01:08:47PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Well, you could have runtime detection like certain multimedia codes and OpenSSL use but
> most packages don't do that.
>
> Either way, if certain downstreams want better support for certain targets, they are always
> welcome to jump in and send patches to me or upstream. This port is a community effort,
> after all.

Some years ago I tried to get such runtime detection added for vlc.
Upstream was certainly far from helpful and just about hostile to the
idea of adding runtime detection code on powerpc.  Given I was just
trying to help out the people hitting a problem with it (I don't have
any desktop powerpc, I only deal with embedded), I decided it wasn't
worth my effort to argue with them.

--
Len Sorensen