success on a PowerPC iMac 6,1

Hello,

I thought I would mention a successful debian install on a PowerPC iMac 6,1:

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
cpu : 7455, altivec supported
clock : 999.999997MHz
revision : 3.3 (pvr 8001 0303)
bogomips : 66.56

timebase : 33280357
platform : PowerMac
model : PowerMac6,1
machine : PowerMac6,1
motherboard : PowerMac6,1 MacRISC3 Power Macintosh
detected as : 287 (Flat panel iMac)
pmac flags : 00000010
L2 cache : 256K unified
pmac-generation : NewWorld
Memory : 768 MB

I used the cd from

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/2021-04-17/

as the more recent CD I tried did not work, as per this message I found later:

 <https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2021/09/msg00008.html>

following that the installation went smoothly through, looking much like the screen capture images here in this walkthough:

<https://www.danielmartingonzalez.com/en/installing-debian-10-from-scratch/>

I chose the “entire disc” installation method to keep things simpler, and I chose the LXDE desktop, as on a previous attempt using the default choice of the Xfce desktop there was an error.

It is quite neat to see this system able to run current versions of rust, ghc, llivm/clang-13, gcc-11.2, etc.

thanks to all for all your efforts.

I have four more Apple PPC machines to work on next over the coming few weeks. The next efforts will be a couple of Dual-G5s I have nearby.

Best,

Ken