Raptor Talos boot issues with Debian image

Hi.  I'm having trouble booting the Debian netinst ISO images on a Talos
II Lite mainboard.  It shows up in petitboot, but selecting 'Default
install' results in the usual output 'SIGTERM received, booting...'
(from petitboot?) output and then nothing happens.  Both Ubuntu 20.04
and Fedora 34 images works fine.  Any ideas on how to debug this
further?

I'm using
https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/ppc64el/iso-cd/debian-11.1.0-ppc64el-netinst.iso
and have verified SHA256 checksum, and tested several USB sticks as well
as OpenBMC virtual media.  I have tried the 11.0 and some 10.x images
too.

/Simon