Re: Updated Debian Ports installation images 2021-09-21

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021, at 12:47 AM, Efraim Flashner wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 11:30:26PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> On 9/23/21 23:08, kristofferfin@tuta.io wrote:
>> > I also made a fresh installation on another G4 (this time on Mini) with mechanical HDD and  stuck here:
>> > i2c:powermac modalias failure /uni-n@8000000/i2c@f8001000/cereal
>>
>> What do you mean by "stuck here"? Does it boot up to his point and
>> then nothing further happens?
>>
>> Please provide a little more information and context, i.e. what you
>> did to get there and so on.
>>
>> Adrian
>>

> I'm seeing something similar. using the attached screen of my iBook G4
> the last lines I see are
>
> [   30.582886] fb0: switching to radeondrmfb from OFfb ATY,Snowy_
> [   30.660875] b43 ssb0:0: firmware: direct-loading firmware b43/ucode5.fw
>
> and then the screen has been frozen for hours. I am able to ssh into the
> machine anduse it from there but I have a minimum machine load of about 2.
> I figured it was related to the firmware-amd-graphics package I installed.

I'm seeing the same behavior on a Mac mini G4 (standard spinning rust hard drive, if it makes a difference).  Screen freezes just at the time it switches from the open-firmware frame-buffer driver to something more native.  I don't know what graphics chip it's using.  I can ssh into the machine and run something to find out, if you can tell me what to run.

Is there some way to tell it to not try to switch graphics drivers away from OF-FB?

Thanks!
Rick