Re: Updated Debian Ports installation images 2021-09-21

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 11:30:26PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On 9/23/21 23:08, kristofferfin@tuta.io wrote:
> > I also made a fresh installation on another G4 (this time on Mini) with mechanical HDD and  stuck here:
> > i2c:powermac modalias failure /uni-n@8000000/i2c@f8001000/cereal
>
> What do you mean by "stuck here"? Does it boot up to his point and
> then nothing further happens?
>
> Please provide a little more information and context, i.e. what you
> did to get there and so on.
>
> Adrian

I'm seeing something similar. using the attached screen of my iBook G4
the last lines I see are

[   30.582886] fb0: switching to radeondrmfb from OFfb ATY,Snowy_
[   30.660875] b43 ssb0:0: firmware: direct-loading firmware b43/ucode5.fw

and then the screen has been frozen for hours. I am able to ssh into the
machine anduse it from there but I have a minimum machine load of about 2.
I figured it was related to the firmware-amd-graphics package I installed.

(ins)efraim@g4:~$ apt-cache policy
Package files:
 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     release a=now
 500 http://flashner.co.il/debian sid/non-free powerpc Packages
     release o=Efraim <efraim@flashner.co.il>,a=unstable,n=sid,l=Custom Debian ports packages,c=non-free,b=powerpc
     origin flashner.co.il
 500 http://flashner.co.il/debian sid/contrib powerpc Packages
     release o=Efraim <efraim@flashner.co.il>,a=unstable,n=sid,l=Custom Debian ports packages,c=contrib,b=powerpc
     origin flashner.co.il
 500 http://flashner.co.il/debian sid/main powerpc Packages
     release o=Efraim <efraim@flashner.co.il>,a=unstable,n=sid,l=Custom Debian ports packages,c=main,b=powerpc
     origin flashner.co.il
 500 http://deb.debian.org/debian-ports sid/main all Packages
     release v=1.0,o=Debian Ports,a=unstable,n=sid,l=ftp.ports.debian.org,c=main,b=all
     origin deb.debian.org
 500 http://deb.debian.org/debian-ports sid/main powerpc Packages
     release v=1.0,o=Debian Ports,a=unstable,n=sid,l=ftp.ports.debian.org,c=main,b=powerpc
     origin deb.debian.org
Pinned packages:
(ins)efraim@g4:~$ aptitude search "?origin (flashner.co.il) ?installed"
i   b43-fwcutter                                                            - utility for extracting Broadcom 43xx firmware
i   firmware-amd-graphics                                                   - Binary firmware for AMD/ATI graphics chips
i   firmware-b43-installer                                                  - firmware installer for the b43 driver
i   guile-git                                                               - guile bindings for libgit2
i   guile-gnutls                                                            - GNU TLS library - GNU Guile bindings
i   guile-json                                                              - JSON module for Guile
i   guile-library                                                           - Library of useful Guile modules
i   guile-zlib                                                              - zlib bindings for guile
i A libgnutls-dane0                                                         - GNU TLS library - DANE security support
i A libgnutls-openssl27                                                     - GNU TLS library - OpenSSL wrapper
i A libgnutls28-dev                                                         - GNU TLS library - development files
i A libgnutls30                                                             - GNU TLS library - main runtime library
i A libgnutlsxx28                                                           - GNU TLS library - C++ runtime library
i A libsndio7.0                                                             - Small audio and MIDI framework from OpenBSD, runtime libraries
i A pinentry-curses                                                         - curses-based PIN or pass-phrase entry dialog for GnuPG
i   pinentry-efl                                                            - EFL-based PIN or pass-phrase entry dialog for GnuPG
i A python3-gi                                                              - Python 3 bindings for gobject-introspection libraries
i A python3-gi-cairo                                                        - Python 3 Cairo bindings for the GObject library
i   translate-shell                                                         - Command-line translator using Google Translate, etc.

I also attached the current /var/log/messages

--
Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   רנשלפ םירפא