Re: Altivec in baseline for ppc64?

On 15 July 2021 at 2:04 pm, Sébastien Villemot wrote:
Le mardi 13 juillet 2021 à 21:04 +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz a
écrit :

Please go ahead and enabled AltiVec as I don't think it makes much sense to use BLAS
on machines without any SIMD support. If any user complains about compatibility issues,
please feel free to bring up the issue here again.
I think I disagree with this idea. OpenBLAS can be pulled in by chains
of dependencies, even for users who do not even know what BLAS is.
Violating the baseline can lead to hard-to-understand crashes.
Since I think that reliability is more important than performance, I
prefer to strictly respect the baseline in the binary package.

Hi Sébastien,

I disagree too because the performance of software with AltiVec support isn't as high as expected. I tested it a lot because we have AltiVec and Non-Altivec machines here. We changed to Non-AltiVec compiled software a while ago.

We and the MintPPC team had some problems with the VLC media player on our Non-AltiVec machines a year ago because it is only available in an AltiVec version.
The MintPPC team had to recompile it. [1]
We also had to recompile the version 3.0.12 of VLC because of the AltiVec dependency again. [2]

Cheers,
Christian

A-EON Technology Core Linux support team
http://www.a-eon.com
A-EON Technology Ltd
Asquith House
Unit 1 Dyfrig Rd