Re: OT: Huge Right to Repair Win for Consumers

Hi,

Stan Johnson wrote:
> Here's a more recent example:  I've been trying to figure out how to
> install a more modern Linux kernel on a PowerMac 6100.  More than 20
> years ago, Apple teamed up with the now-defunct OSF to use the Mach 3.0
> microkernel along with Apple's customized version of a 2.0.33 Linux
> kernel to bring Linux to Nubus PowerMacs.  This worked until Apple gave
> up on the project, and though there was a successful effort to bring a
> few 2.4.x Linux kernels (without Mach) to Nubus PowerMacs, that too
> died.  The thing about Apple's involvement with MkLinux was that they
> had no problem modifying Linux kernels, but they weren't willing to make
> their "MkLinux Booter" open source (or document how it worked), and
> that's really what killed Linux (and NetBSD) for Nubus PowerMacs.

actually.. this gets back to the mailing list topic: PPC Linux!
Interesting is that nuBus was actually an "industry standard" that with
time turned against Apple.

I tried many years ago too keep MkLinux alive - I tried myself updating
a bit the 2.0x kernel series but failed. Interesting stuff, my only
foray into kernel hacking which died. Attempts to get a 2.2 died. A bit
all the "Mach kernel" effort died, it had interesting points.
I recognized a lot of the headers in the first versions of MacOS 10.0!
You could grep in the system headers even for MkLinux!

So it is officially all dead? EMILE could to boot natively in 68k with
nuBus. It faded away... my 6100 has gone... But I still have my 8200
(actually a PCI system, much newer than the 8100) and undecided what to do.

The system has a PPC601 CPU and from what I read, the Kernel support was
removed for it, so it is not just a bootloader issue.

Riccardo