Re: OT: Huge Right to Repair Win for Consumers

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 11:54 PM Jeffrey Walton wrote:

> This is not as off-topic as it may seem. In the US, the FTC just
> issued a report that favors consumers.

A link to the report and related discussion:

https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/reports/nixing-fix-ftc-report-congress-repair-restrictions/nixing_the_fix_report_final_5521_630pm-508_002.pdf
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=27068574

> The report and its recommendations may provide a means
> to pierce the veil of closed platforms, like closed-sourced firmware.

It seems unlikely to me that we will ever see a "Right to Repair" for
software, firmware or gateware.

--
bye,
pabs