Re: Current status on grub-installer on PowerMac

Le 16/04/2021 à 01:27, Mark Cave-Ayland a écrit :
On 15/04/2021 20:54, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:

OK, I was already wondering about that. grub-install contains a bless utility
and function only, but not something for the UNIX filetype.

Question: If the blessing is sufficient and the setting of the filetype not necessary,
           why does grub-install --macppc-directory=/boot/grub (with that being an HFS
           filesystem) not create a working boot partition?

Yeah. From what I can see from links [1] and [2] I'd expect this to be working now. Let me run an install of the latest ISO here, since then I can then use a debugger on QEMU/OpenBIOS to find out what the problem may be.

After a bit of fiddling I was eventually able to get a bootable HD install under qemu-system-ppc using your snapshot image. The command line I used was:

./qemu-system-ppc -hda deb10.qcow2 -cdrom debian-10.0.0-powerpc-NETINST-1.iso -boot d -m 512 -nographic

The main problem I found was that starting from a blank drive image in QEMU the /boot/grub HFS partition wasn't being created - see the attached PNGs where part-original.png is the layout from the default guided installation and part-modified.png is after I had manually removed the / partition, added the /boot/grub HFS partition (I guess a 32MB size?) and then assigned the remaining space to the / partition once again.

Once this was done, I let the base install run all the way up until the point where the installer prompted me for the mirror information. At this point I didn't want to install any extra packages to help save time, so instead went back to the installer menu and then went directly to the grub installation step. That appeared to succeed without any error messages, so then finished the installer and rebooted.

Unfortunately the resulting HD image would not boot. I could see the contents of the /boot/grub partition in OpenBIOS with "dir hd:,\" and after a few tests realised I was able to boot the grub ELF directly using "boot hd:3,\grub".

Once in the installed image I noticed that the /boot/grub/System/Library/CoreServices/ directory didn't exist, possibly because I skipped the installer between the mirror selection and the grub installation? However at this point I was able to install hfsutils by hand using "apt-get install hfsutils" which then allowed me to do the following:

# grub-install --macppc-directory=/boot/grub/

(this installed /boot/grub/System/Library/CoreServices/BootX which was missing before?)

# umount /boot/grub/
# hmount /dev/sda3
Volume name is "untitled"
Volume was created on Thu Apr 15 20:51:52 2021
Volume was last modified on Thu Apr 15 21:48:40 2021
Volume has 22705664 bytes free
root@debian:/boot# hls
fonts             grub.cfg          locale            powerpc-ieee1275
grub              grubenv           mach_kernel       System
# hattrib -b :System:Library:CoreServices
# hattrib -c chrp -t tbxi :System:Library:CoreServices:BootX
# hls -l :System:Library:CoreServices:BootX
f  tbxi/chrp         0     16632 Apr 15 22:53 :System:Library:CoreServices:BootX
# humount
# shutdown -h now

After that I was able to reboot successfully by switching qemu-system-ppc to boot from the HD using -boot c instead:

./qemu-system-ppc -hda deb10.qcow2 -cdrom debian-10.0.0-powerpc-NETINST-1.iso -boot c -m 512 -nographic

ATB,

Mark.

Inded, I don't have the HFS partition too.

--
Passez à Linux : https://infolib.re

    .--.
   |o_o |