Re: iMac G3 r128 - failed to load module "r128"

Hi Adrian,

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 6:33 AM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> On 5/23/20 9:52 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> > On 5/23/20 9:48 PM, Jeroen Diederen wrote:
> >> I installed Debian Sid on an old iMac G3 500 with an ATI Rage 128 card. I cannot
> >> get X working. In the /var/log/Xorg.0.log I can see that r128 module fails to load.
> >> I can not find the xserver-org-video-r128 package. Can someone shed a light ?
> >
> > The driver was removed from the package repository [1], I will re-add them soonish.
>
> Good news on this issue: Adrian Bunk has kindly stepped up and is working on re-adding
> the legacy driver packages to the Debian archive [1]. So users will be able to use
> X on the affected machines in the near future again.
>
> If anyone knows about some particular fixes that are required for the drivers - such
> as for the eMac - it would be nice if we could assemble a list of these fixes so they
> can be integrated into the Debian packages later. The fixes should, of course, get
> upstreamed whereever possible.

I hit this problem about two weeks ago after installing Debian 8.1 on
a PowerMac G5: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/19722/debian-ppc-on-powermac-g5-boots-to-blank-screen.

I did not try to troubleshoot it because I had no screen and no SSH.
The machine was effectively unaccessible to me. If SSH would have
worked out of the box, then I could have gotten in and tried some
things.

Maybe one lesson to learn is, provide a working SSH after an
installation. I don't recall if the installer had a step for enabling
SSH. If it does not, then there should be an option to ensure SSH is
installed and working on the first boot (unless the user does not want
SSH).

After the Debian 8.1 problem I tried to move on to your FEB 02 2021 build.

Jeff