Re: Workaround for installing Debian onto PowerMacs (2020-02-02 image)

On Sun, Feb 7, 2021, at 12:43 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 2/7/21 1:18 AM, Rick Thomas wrote:
> > But when it rebooted, all I got was a folder icon with a blinking question mark.
>
> Did you verify that:
>
> - /ht@0,f2000000/pci@5/k2-sata-root@c/@-1/@0:2 corresponds to the partition
>   where /boot/grub is mounted and GRUB was installed?

What would be the correct way to do that?

> - Is the filesystem mounted to /boot/grub formatted as HFS?

yes, I did check.  And yes, it is formatted as hfs.

> - Does the folder /boot/grub contain the GRUB files, especially "grub"?

I'll check.

> I think the mechanism is rather easy to understand, you need to make sure the
> GRUB files are present, placed on an HFS filesystem and the firmware boot
> entry is pointing to it.
>
> But again, this is just a hack, the proper bootloader installation is still
> work-in-progress.

I await the culmination of that work in progress with great anticipation!  Let me know if there's anything you would like tested!

> Adrian

Thanks for all your efforts!

Rick