Re: Workaround for installing Debian onto PowerMacs (2020-02-02 image)

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021, at 4:22 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Hello!
>
> For anyone wanting to install a current Debian unstable snapshot onto their
> PowerMacs, I'm going to write down a short guide how to make sure GRUB
> gets installed properly (in case the installation fails).
>
> Use either the powerpc or ppc64 image depending on your machine type:
>
> > https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/2021-02-02/
>
> Install normally. After GRUB has been installed and the installation has
> finished, don't reboot the machine yet.
>
> Switch to another console and enter the following commands:
>
> # mount -o bind /dev/ /target/dev/
> # mount -o bind /proc/ /target/proc/
> # mount -o bind /sys/ /target/sys/
>
> # chroot /target/
> # bash
> # grub-install --macppc-directory=/boot/grub
> # export boot_device=$(nvram --print-config=boot-device)
> # nvsetenv boot-device ${boot_device%%\\\\BootX}\\grub
>
> # exit
> # exit
> # umount /target/dev
> # umount /target/proc
> # umount /target/sys
> # exit
>
> Then switch back to the installer console.

Here you are...

~ # mount -o bind /dev/ /target/dev/
~ # mount -o bind /proc/ /target/proc/
~ # mount -o bind /sys/ /target/sys/

~ # chroot /target/
# /bin/bash

root@kmac:/# nvram --print-config=boot-device
/ht@0,f2000000/pci@5/k2-sata-root@c/@-1/@0:2,\grub

root@kmac:/# grub-install --macppc-directory=/boot/grub
Installing for powerpc-ieee1275 platform.
Installation finished. No error reported.

root@kmac:/# export boot_device=$(nvram --print-config=boot-device)

root@kmac:/# nvsetenv boot-device ${boot_device%%\\\\BootX}\\grub

root@kmac:/# nvram --print-config=boot-device
/ht@0,f2000000/pci@5/k2-sata-root@c/@-1/@0:2,\grub

root@kmac:/#
exit
#
~ # umount -v /target/sys
~ # umount -v /target/dev
~ # umount -v /target/proc

But when it rebooted, all I got was a folder icon with a blinking question mark.

Enjoy!
Rick