Re: Tool for blessing HFS+ filesystems required

Hello Johannes!

On 2/2/21 7:51 PM, Johannes Brakensiek wrote:
>> On a sidenote: This variant has the huge advantage that the partioning tool
>> in debian-installer takes care of setting up the HFS+ partition and making
>> sure nothing gets overwritten etc.
>>
>> This is something that we would have to do manually in case we can't use
>> hfsprogs - unless we hack the hfsutils package.
>
> I just joined this list, but for me everything seems to vote for this solution.
> All tools are already there and a blessed partition will provide a huge gain
> considering user experience.[1] I don’t see any advantage in using HFS+ for a
> 2MB partition that’s not used for anything else. Do you?

As I explained, from the installer's point of view, hfsprogs is more straight-
forward because it use the same command line interface as all the other filesystem
utilities, so that "mkfs -t hfs" works.

hfsutils uses "hformat $DEVICE" while hfsprogs uses mkfs.hfs $DEVICE.

Either way, it will require quite some testing and research.

> [1] It also means you can choose that partition as boot partition from the preference
> pane of Mac OS X, doesn’t it?

Yes.

Adrian

--