Re: Package libnss3_3.60-1_ppc64.deb requires Power-7 hardware

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 6:17 PM Carsten Jacobi
<carsten@ccac.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

> For all who still want to run Debian 64bit on a G5, the newest
> libnss3-Package breaks some prominent applications like firefox or
> thunderbird on that machine.
>
> The reason is that in one makefile the compiler options "-mcrypto" and
> "-mvsx" were turned. Hence, there are Power-7 instructions now in
> libfreeblpriv3.so:

Crypto extensions are ISA 2.07, which is POWER8.

VSX is supposedly optional on ISA 2.06 with POWER7, but I don't think
IBM shipped a machine without both. If you are working on POWER7, then
VSX extensions are available.

The odd thing about VSX (I found)... VSX provides loads and stores for
vectors with 64-bit elements, but the operation on them - like vec_add
and vec_sub - did not come until POWER8.

Jeff