Re: iMac G5 "windfarm"

On 1/3/21 10:49 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 12/30/20 11:55 PM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
>> Right now, it apparently is an older version:
>>
>> Linux PPC970FX 4.16.0-1-powerpc64 #1 SMP Debian 4.16.5-1 (2018-04-29) ppc64 GNU/Linux
>
> Way too old.
>
>> But yaboot doesn't find it, so I have to boot "old". Maybe this is part of the issue.
>>
>> TO me vimlinux seems as correct as vmlinux.old
>>
>> yaboot has:
>>
>> image=/vmlinux
>>     label=Linux
>>     read-only
>>     initrd=/initrd.img
>>
>> image=/vmlinux.old
>>     label=old
>>     read-only
>>     initrd=/initrd.img.old
>>
>> so it looks all fine to me, why should "old" work and Linux not?
>
> You need to make sure the symbolic links point to the correct kernel and initrd versions.
>
> Another reason why I prefer GRUB over Yaboot ;-).

    I thought we had all agreed that grub was the only way forwards?

    Maybe I will glance down the maillist here and see what has been
    happening.  Also I see a new installer image for 2021-01-03 but my
    guess is that there is some glibc issue hanging around. Perhaps.

    Regardless I will make some coffee and give this a whirl and see
    what happens.

    Also thank you for all the great work you are doing!  Personaly I
    see no damn way that these older ppc64 big-endian boxes would be
    anything but boat anchors or large shiney door stops without you.

--
Dennis Clarke
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC