Re: poor relative G4 performance iBook/PowerBook

Hi,

Brian Morris wrote:
% time cat <huge_file >huge_file_copy

Install smartctl to check drive health

I also have a PowerBook 1ghz which is quite a bit faster than my 1.5ghz tho could be because the former has a bit more ram and a newer hard drive and the latter has a defective 2nd ram slot

I wanted to investigate this further - except smartctl, I did more extensive checks with file copying which are interesting, also, now that keyboard works again, I investigated better what dmesg says.
Here some results:

dd if=/dev/zero of=output.dat  bs=1M  count=128

PB: 158 MB/s
iBook: 117 MB/s

dd if=/dev/zero of=output.dat  bs=1M  count=256

PB: 9.4 28.5 MB/s
iBook: 4.8s 56 MB/s

Copy of 256MB file
PB: 5.18 s
iBook:  2.7 s

This means that for 128MB there is some "cache effect" and there the PowerBook beats the iBook. But with 256MB the iBook is almost twice as fast!  28.5 MB/s is less than UDMA/33... quite slow... Both the iBook and PowerBook still have PATA of course, since no serial ata devices existed back then

the iBook has
[    3.774751] pata-pci-macio 0002:20:0d.0: Activating pata-macio chipset UniNorth ATA-6, Apple bus ID 3
[    3.775921] scsi host0: pata_macio
[    4.802731] pata-macio 0.00020000:ata-3: Activating pata-macio chipset KeyLargo ATA-3, Apple bus ID 0
[    4.810545] scsi host1: pata_macio

I bet the first one is the Hard Disk, the second one is for the optical drive.

The PowerBook appears also to have the same UniNorth and KeyLargo... so I doubt there is a driver issue? Apple reused the same chips.
However:
on the PowerBook the ata1 attaches as UDMA/100 ATA-6.
on the iBook I get UDMA/100 ATA-8

Is this ATA-8 all the reason of being faster? Is just the PB using a slow HD? or it does not negotiate or get recognized to full speed? Wondering! for both UDMA/100 indicates 100MBytes top speed. ATA-8 appears to be a hybrid drive... with a cache, I don't think that part can explain speed up for a 256MB file! internet search says it is an 8MB cache.

Riccardo