Re: kernel 5.9 no keyboard on PowerBook

Hi,

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
I just upgraded the kernel to 5.9.0 on my PowerBook G4 - no keyboard, I cannot>even login.
I reverted to 7.0-2 and everything works as expected.

I do not have intermediate kernels, so I cannot tell when exactly things broke.
You can find more kernel versions on snapshot.debian.org [1]. For instructions on
how to install packages from snapshot.d.o, see [2].

You should also try whether the problem can be reproduced using an upstream kernel,
so we are sure the issue is not a result of a configuration change in Debian's
kernel.

I tested some intermediate kernels... I did so by downloading 3 deb files and installing them with dpkg -i (instead of the full snapshot in apt sources). E:g.

linux-bootwrapper-5.8.0-3_5.8.14-1_powerpc.deb linux-image-powerpc_5.8.14-1_powerpc.deb
linux-image-5.8.0-3-powerpc_5.8.14-1_powerpc.deb

The version numbering confuses me a little: so the difference between 5.8.0 and 5.8.14 ? is the first one always x.y.0 so to "identify" the x.y series?

Anyway, we know current 5.9 is broken.
- 5.8.0/5.8.14 : broken
- 5.8.0/5.8.7 : broken
- 5.7.0 /5.7.17-1 : works

I wanted to try something intermediate, but 5.8.3 apparently was built only for PPC64 and not PPC.

I also tried starting X11... and noticed that keyboard there wasn't working as well as the touchpad, so both internal devices are non functional.

Riccardo