Re: kernel 5.9 no keyboard on PowerBook

Hi Adrian,

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On 11/7/20 3:33 PM, Riccardo Mottola wrote> Hi!
As somebody else asked, I booted, attached an USB keyboard and that one works.
Is the keyboard ADB or USB? I see in the dmesg usb related messages.
Whom are you asking here?

Anybody who knows :) But it appears to be USB.
Do we have the same model of powerbook? You said it works for you.
I also have an iBook G4 which I refrained from updateing until now. I could, by holding the current kernel, just for safety :)

processor       : 0
cpu             : 7447A, altivec supported
clock           : 1666.666000MHz
revision        : 1.2 (pvr 8003 0102)
bogomips        : 73.72

timebase        : 18432000
platform        : PowerMac
model           : PowerBook5,7
machine         : PowerBook5,7
motherboard     : PowerBook5,7 MacRISC3 Power Macintosh
detected as     : 287 (PowerBook G4 17")
pmac flags      : 0000001a
L2 cache        : 512K unified
pmac-generation : NewWorld
Memory          : 2048 MB

Looks like your keyboard was detected and it's a USB keyboard.

Fine, somebody replied me "off list" citing ADB issues, but that is then most probably not related.

[   19.981386] platform regulatory.0: firmware: failed to load regulatory.db (-2)
[   19.981408] firmware_class: See https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware for information about missing firmware
[   19.981416] platform regulatory.0: Direct firmware load for regulatory.db failed with error -2
[   19.981424] cfg80211: failed to load regulatory.db

What is this regulatory.db? what firmware could I miss?
That's just for WiFi, unrelated to your keyboard.

Ok! wifi works... but always at my second attempt to pull it up :)

It looks like the internal keyboard kets detected several times...
Are you sure the hardware works flawlessly? This could also indicate a hardware problem.

The keyboard works in GRUB and works with a previous version of the kernel.... what else can I test and say?

If not, you will have to bisect this issue to find which commit broke your keyboard.

I recommend cross-compiling the kernel from a fast x86_64 machine.

cross-compiling to a debian kernel  build but using kernel? I could at least attempt different kernel releases and make a first bisectino of versions.

I can also attempt a native compile I don't know how to build & package a kernel so that it is digested by debian

Riccardo