Re: Compatible Debian PPC64 B.E for L.E servers

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 03:30:05PM -0300, Alexandre Bencz wrote:
> well...
>
> this is quite interesting, even for use on Power7 servers ... I have several
> clients that use Debian on P7 and P6 .... so, having a compilation that uses
> the latest CPU instructions, would be interesting

Right, so already first person asked for power8 as base, you want power
7 or power 6.  Where does it end?  Power 4 seems like a good baseline,
and for the few things that matter, you can have libraries compiled for
better instruction sets that are selectively loaded.

And it seems power8+ machines really just run ppc64el because that is
what IBM wants people to run (apparently because converting the data from
big endian to little endian before passing it to an nvidia GPU that only
does little endian made a significant performance difference and there
was no reason not to switch to little endian given almost all powerpc
designs support both ways, not to mention the amount of software that
is broken on big endian because of assumptions (often implicit) by
the developers).

--
Len Sorensen