Re: Compatible Debian PPC64 B.E for L.E servers

Hello Carlos!

On 10/25/20 6:49 PM, Carlos Rodrigues wrote:
> Newer servers, such as Power8 and Power9 support BE operating systems, including Debian ...
> the problem is that Debian PPC64 is compiled to be compatible with older servers (power4
> standard), it is possible to generate a release of Debian PPC64 BE, using Power8 standards
> (I mean newer instructions)?

Yes, that would be possible, of course. One could use rebootstrap [1] for that, for example.

However, I'm not sure what would be the point of having a ppc64be distribution with POWER8
instructions as most POWER8 software is provided for the little-endian ports anyway such
that most users who want a big-endian port use that for Apple G5 systems or the newer Amiga
One X5000(?) systems.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz