Re: How to collect debug information while booting kernel on powerpc 32 bit

Hello Adrian,

Il giorno mer, 01/07/2020 alle 20.02 +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz ha scritto:
> On 7/1/20 4:51 PM, Giuseppe Sacco wrote:
> > How may I debug the problem? I tried a lot of kernel parameters without
> > having any additional information on the screen. Would it be helpful to
> > connect a serial cable (where?), use it to connect a console, and get
> > more info? Is there any parameter that may be used for collecting more
> > information when creating the initrd image?
>
> Try setting up a netconsole [1][2], that usually works just fine.

Thank you for those links. I was not aware of such console, so I spent
some time studying it. Unfortunately, I cannot use it since the kernel
stops before listing the Ethernet device.

Another option i would like to try, is to test kernel versions in
between 3.16 and 5.7, in order to find about when the problem start.

I couldn't find a guide for cross compiling the debian kernel package.
Do you know if it is possible to cross compile the powerpc kernel on a
debian 10 machine with amd64 arch?

Thank you,
Giuseppe