How to collect debug information while booting kernel on powerpc 32 bit

Hello,
I cannot boot a powerbook g4 with kernels more recent than 3.16. Using
5.6 and 5.7 from sid, the system blocks after printing these lines:

pmac32_cpufreq: registering PowerMac CPU frequency driver
pamc32_cpufreq: Low: 667 MHz, High: 867 Mhz, Boot: 667 MHz

I opened a bug report (#963689) but I would like to contribute more
information.

How may I debug the problem? I tried a lot of kernel parameters without
having any additional information on the screen. Would it be helpful to
connect a serial cable (where?), use it to connect a console, and get
more info? Is there any parameter that may be used for collecting more
information when creating the initrd image?

Thank you,
Giuseppe