Re: [RFC] Remove AGP support from Radeon/Nouveau/TTM

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 8:22 PM Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 12:38 PM Daniel Vetter <daniel@ffwll.ch> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 3:22 PM Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > The problem is AGP doesn't support CPU cache snooping.  Technically
> > > PCI must support coherent device access to system memory.  Unsnooped
> > > access is an optional feature and some platforms may not support it at
> > > all.  Unfortunately, AGP required unsnooped access.  x8t generally
> > > provides a way to do this, but other platforms, not so much.  I don't
> > > recall to what extent PowerPC supported this.  The Linux DMA API
> > > doesn't really have a way to get uncached memory for DMA so there is
> > > that too.  Windows and Mac may provide a way to do this depending on
> > > the platforms.  What probably should have been done on AGP boards was
> > > to use both the AGP GART and the device GART.  The former for uncached
> > > memory (if the platform supported it) and the latter for cached
> > > memory.  That never happened.
> >
> > Slight correction on the dma-api side of things: The dma-api very much
> > can give you uncached memory, but only on some platforms, and the
> > dma-api is very opinionated about which those are. And it refuses to
> > tell you whether your memory ends up being uncached or cached. That's
> > all done in the name of platform portability, which is good for most
> > drivers, but just too much pain for gpu drivers.
>
> Out of curiosity how do you do that without manually messing around
> with PAT or MTRRs?

i915 is even worse, we manually mess around with clflush. In
userspace. So really there's 2 axis for dma memory: coherent vs.
non-coherent (which is something the dma-api somewhat exposed), i.e.
do you need to clflush or not, and cached vs uncached, i.e. are the
PAT entries wc or wb.

But yeah if you dont have PAT real uncached isn't possible, can't frob
MTTR for individual pages. That also, to my understanding, why the dma
api doesn't want to expose this to driver, but abstract it all away:
On many tiny soc platforms all you have for uncached is an mttr (well
the equivalent on that platform), so you anything you get from
dma_alloc_coherent needs to come from there.

But then no one is ever going to plug in a big gpu into such a system
and expect anything to work, so we really need an abstraction that
works on a bit more than just x86 (so we don't dig around in platform
stuff like updating PAT or issusing clflush anymore), but doesn't try
to work everywhere linux runs, just on the few platforms people expect
big gpus to work on. For all the kms-only drivers we have the dma api
seems actually perfectly fine (essentially the cma helpes we have
should be called dma helpers, since that's what they're using
underneath for all buffer management).

Cheers, Daniel