Re: Heads-up: random hangs with Linux 5.7-rc4 on PowerMac6,7 (and other minor issues)

Hi Rui!

On 5/10/20 1:06 PM, Rui Salvaterra wrote:
> Plymouth colours look wrong (only tested on the 6,7, the 11,2 is headless
> atm), probably a framebuffer endiannes issue?

I suggest filing a bug report with plymouth upstream. Although it could
also be a kernel bug. Did you check the upstream bug trackers?

> https://bugzilla.kernel.org/
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/plymouth/plymouth/issues

> According to the datasheets I found (which could be wrong, of course), the
> G4 7447A should also have a thermal assist unit (TAU), but the flag isn't
> enabled for this model. Could it be an oversight? (I could probably check
> if it exists/works and whip up a kernel patch accordingly.)

If you let me know which kernel option in particular needs to be enabled
for that, I can do that. I had a brief look and couldn't find an option
which included the name "TAU".

> Also, what's happening with the HIGHMEM on PowerPC? My 6,7 has 1,5 GiB of
> RAM and the LOWMEM split is at 768 MiB, which seems extremely low, compared
> to x86 machines (I personally wasn't expecting to need HIGHMEM at all, but
> maybe the the address space is really that limited, I don't know.)

I suggest asking this on the Linux PPC kernel mailing list as I'm not
an expert on POWER kernel internals. Or you wait for someone else here
to comment.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz