Re: https://github.com/glaubitz/powerpc-utils/commit/4a3f51762fdd90112721e3c436973aec51beb95c

On 4/14/20 12:11 AM, Dennis Clarke wrote:> I will take a look at :

> https://github.com/glaubitz/powerpc-utils/commit/4a3f51762fdd90112721e3c436973aec51beb95c
>

> Just to see if I can get a handle on the problem.

Ok, thanks.

> Also, I am surprised that this is a script and not a binary. I would
> have thought that getting access to openfirmware data as well as the
> management of that data ( for boot dev etc ) would have all been done
> in C code.

It's just a script that matches OF pathnames retrieved from the kernel via
/sys into device paths below /dev. I don't see why such a program would
have to be C code.

>> There are only three known ways the images can fail.
>>
>> 1) Packages are not installable in the step "Select and install
>>    software", something you can always skip and perform after the
>>    machine has been rebooted. People seem to assume that it's
>>    mandatory to install extra software during the initial installation
>>    which is not true. It's purely optional and you should just
>>    install the basic system from CD.
>
> Of course.
>
> I went for the most basic and trivial config with zero graphical
> software and merely ssh and the essential baseline tools. Nothing
> more. If I could make telnetd work then I would even skip sshd.

Installing sshd doesn't cause any issues and you should not use telnetd
either.

>> 2) Installation of the base system failing because of vim-tiny
>>    being uninstallable. An image that has this problem is unusable
>>    and I was sure I deleted all images that suffered this problem.
>>
>>    The background of this problem is explained here:
>>
>>     https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2020/03/msg00221.html
>
> I do not need vim during install and in fact I did use "printf" to
> append my network config to /etc/network/interfaces as well as to create
> a reasonable /etc/resolv.conf for the /target that exists during
> install.  I did not see any problem with vim-tiny but then again I was
> never able to boot the newer install results after the installer said
> "reboot".

It's not a question whether you need vim-tiny or not as it's installation
is mandatory for the base system. Whatever Debian system you install,
it *will* install vim-tiny as vim-tiny is marked "important" in the
priority list.

>> 3) GRUB not being installable on PowerMacs due to ofpathname not
>>    returning the correct OpenFirmware pathnames on Apple PowerMacs
>>    and hence grub-installer unable to figure out the correct OF
>>    path.
>>
>>    The GRUB issue can be solved by installing GRUB manually as
>>    explained by Frank Scheiner:
>>
>>     https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2017/09/msg00034.html
>>     https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2017/10/msg00005.html
>
> Strangely I have never been able to get the openfirmware prompt to
> appear on this particular machine I am testing and it may be a
> characteristic of the Sun USB keyboards I am using.

IIRC the key combination is Apple+Cmd+O+F.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz