italian and german keyboards

Hi!

I have an iBook and a PowerBook with an italian keyboard. Keys with have 3 symbols each. I need to type certain keys with the "right-something" key combination (altgr on PC) or similar.
Some of these keys are crucial: @, #, [] and to a lesser extent €.

I need this in both console and x11!

Any tips on how to do it? Or maybe it is already possible with some weird key combination?

To a lesser extent I have a similar issue also with a German keyboard, but it is an old iBook G3 which has a "weird" compact layout and lacks also the right command key. In x11 I attempted to "scavenge" using the enter key as modifier.

Riccardo