Re: git: Please consider demoting git-man to Recommends

On 07.01.20 01:29, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On 1/7/20 1:03 AM, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
Using Recommends to mean "Depends, except on
buildds" would produce bad results for end users that use
--no-recommends.
I disagree. Anyone who uses "--no-recommends" should know what they are
doing. And those are just manpages, after all.
The trouble is that the "git help" feature (a standard feature of Git)
is not designed to work in their absence.  I agree that that's worth
changing, and that is what https://bugs.debian.org/613892 is about.

For the case at hand: do you have a list of arches that are affected
by this?  I can demote the dependency to Recommends on those arches.

I suggest to have "git help" point to the missing package and have it
"demoted" to recommends for all platforms. The fewer exceptions the better.

Thank you both

Steffen