Re: git: Please consider demoting git-man to Recommends

On 1/7/20 1:03 AM, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> This is not what Recommends is for.  If we want to remove a dependency
> in the buildd environment but not for users, we can use build profiles
> for that instead.

Build profiles cannot be triggered on buildds. They can be set for manual
builds only.

> Using Recommends to mean "Depends, except on
> buildds" would produce bad results for end users that use
> --no-recommends.

I disagree. Anyone who uses "--no-recommends" should know what they are
doing. And those are just manpages, after all.

> Are there any plans for debian-ports to host the relevant arch:all
> packages?

We do have arch:all in Debian Ports but that's not the problem. The
problem is explained in [1]. We don't have the CRUFT feature in
Debian Ports as we don't use DAK but Mini-DAK so we run into this
problem every time a build fails on a certain architecture and the
package versions for the arch:any and arch:all package divert.

Any time this happens, I have to build the package manually with
the testsuite disabled or with some local patches applied which
is always time-consuming and frustrating which is why I am asking
for the manpages being moved from Depends to Recommends.

There are efforts to make Debian Ports use Mini-DAK but unfortunately
there has not been any progress on this lately. There are quite
some people interested in Debian Ports but not many are willing to
do the work which is why progress is slow.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz